League One

Barnsley showcased why they are one of the favourites to earn automatic promotion this season, despite playing 55 minutes with 10-men against Southend United.

Winger Jacob Brown was given his marching orders in the 35th minute, after a stud up challenge on Shrimpers skipper Sam Mantom.

That incident only sparked the visitors into action as they produced a stunning second half to secure a 3-0 victory courtesy of goals to Cameron McGeehan, Cauley Woodrow and substitute Jordan Green.

Peterborough United and Wycombe Wanderers played out an exciting contest later in the day with the Posh coming away 4-2 winners.

There was plenty of action in the first 45 minutes, with the home side taking a 2-0 lead courtesy of Matt Godden before an own goal from Ryan Tafazolli pulled one back for the visitors.

Peterborough were soon two clear once again as Marcus Maddison grabbed his first of the match, before Matthew Bloomfield made it 3-2 in the 38th minute.

Maddison ensured victory for his side when he converted a chance created by Godden, a favour return having set up the striker’s brace.

The result saw the Posh move level on points with Doncaster Rovers in the play-off spot after they were held to a 1-all draw at home by Charlton Athletic.

Oxford United moved out of the drop zone after they secured a 2-1 victory over Scunthorpe United.

A Jerome Sinclair double in the second half sent the home side on their way, before George Thomas pulled one back later.

Other results

Accrington Stanley 0-1 Coventry City

Bristol Rovers 4-0 Blackpool

Burton Albion 0-0 Walsall

Fleetwood Town 1-1 Gillingham

Luton Town 2-0 Rochdale

Portsmouth 5-1 Bradford City

Shrewsbury 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

Sunderland 2-0 Plymouth Argyle

League Two

Swindon Town gave their promotion playoff hopes a major boost after they stormed to a 3-0 victory over Colchester United, who missed the opportunity to jump into the playoff positions.

Canice Carroll and Luke Woolfenden had the home side two clear at half-time before Kyle Bennett rounded out the result in the 66th minute.

Bury continued their free scoring ways this campaign with a 3-0 victory over their own against relegation threatened Macclesfield Town.

Nick Maynard put the home side ahead in the 24th minute, but they were forced to await until the 75th minute to double their lead.

At that time James O’Shea stepped up from the penalty spot to give his side some more breathing room before Scott Wharton put the icing on the cake with an injury time goal.

Other results

Crewe Alexandra 0-2 Northampton Town

Exeter City 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

Forest Green Rovers 1-2 Lincoln City

Grimsby Town 0-2 Cambridge United

Mansfield Town 4-2 Cheltenham Town

MK Dons 1-0 Crawley Town

Newport County 2-0 Carlisle United

Notts County 0-0 Port Vale

Oldham Athletic 1-1 Stevenage

Yeovil Town 3-2 Morecambe

Brayden May